Re: [regression] Bug 217218 - Trying to boot Linux version 6-2.2 kernel with Marvell SATA controller 88SE9235

From: Robin Murphy
Date: Mon Apr 17 2023 - 07:49:25 EST

On 2023-04-16 07:41, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 01:18:45PM +0100, Robin Murphy wrote:
FWIW "Marvell SATA" instantly makes me suspect the phantom function quirk.
What *should* happen is the IOMMU driver sees the PCI DMA aliases correctly
and sets up context entries for both 07.00.0 and 07.00.1, but it looks like
that may be what's gone awry.

Looking at the bug report it seems this is device 9235, which doesn't
need the DMA alias quirks.

Indeed that one doesn't appear to be in the quirk list currently. However the symptom of DMA traffic from function 1 which the IOMMU clearly wasn't expecting firmly suggests that it *does* need the quirk. Digging up the original report, the lspci output there suggests that 07:00.1 isn't a real function, which would further confirm it.

The other thing which catches my interest is the seemingly-conflicting "iommu=soft" and "intel_iommu=on" arguments - I could well believe that refactoring the x86 IOMMU detection stuff might have subtly changed the interaction there, such that previously it ended up not actually using the IOMMU for DMA ops, but now it is?

Robin.