Re: mm: delay rmap removal until after TLB flush

From: Konstantin Ryabitsev
Date: Tue Nov 08 2022 - 15:03:59 EST

On Tue, Nov 08, 2022 at 11:56:13AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 8:28 PM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm sending this out because I'm stepping away from the keyboard,
> > because that whole "let's massage it into something legible" was
> > really somewhat exhausting. You don't see all the small side turns it
> > took only to go "that's ugly, let's try again" ;)
>
> Ok, I actually sent the individual patches with 'git-send-email',
> although I only sent them to the mailing list and to people that were
> mentioned in the commit descriptions.
>
> I hope that makes review easier.
>
> See
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20221108194139.57604-1-torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> for the series if you weren't mentioned and are interested.
>
> Oh, and because I decided to just use the email in this thread as the
> reference and cover letter, it turns out that this all confuses 'b4',
> because it actually walks up the whole thread all the way to the
> original 13-patch series by PeterZ that started this whole discussion.
>
> I've seen that before with other peoples patch series, but now that it
> happened to my own, I'm cc'ing Konstantine here too to see if there's
> some magic for b4 to say "look, I pointed you to a msg-id that is
> clearly a new series, don't walk all the way up and then take patches
> from a completely different one.

Yes, --no-parent.

It's slightly more complicated in your case because the patches aren't
threaded to the first patch/cover letter, but you can choose an arbitrary
msgid upthread and tell b4 to ignore anything that came before it. E.g.:

b4 am -o/tmp --no-parent 20221108194139.57604-1-torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-K