Re: regression, 5.19.0-rc1 not powering off when hibernated

From: Thorsten Leemhuis
Date: Sat Jun 11 2022 - 09:53:53 EST

Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker.

CCing the regression mailing list, as it should be in the loop for all
regressions, as explained here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/reporting-issues.html
Also CCing the hibernation maintainers and Linux-pm.

On 09.06.22 01:55, Ken Moffat wrote:
> Up to 5.18.0 hibernation has worked ok on my ryzen 5 3400G : screen
> blanks, disk activity for the write to swap, screen briefly has a
> trashed display, machine powers off. When powering up from
> hibernation, after the saved files are loaded X starts with a
> briefly trashed display before my desktop reappears.
>
> But with 5.19.0-rc1 the screen is blank throughtout the hibernation,
> and briefly when restoring (no complaint about that), but when
> hibernating it no longer powers off and I have to hold the on/off
> switch to power off.
>
> Is this a known problem ?

Thanks for the report. Maybe the hibernation maintainers might know, but
often issues like this are caused by other things like drivers. If they
don#t have a idea, you likely need to do a bisection to get down to the
change that introduced this regressions.

Anyway: To be sure below issue doesn't fall through the cracks
unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking
bot:

#regzbot ^introduced v5.18..v5.19-rc1
#regzbot title hibernate: Not powering off when hibernated
#regzbot ignore-activity

This isn't a regression? This issue or a fix for it are already
discussed somewhere else? It was fixed already? You want to clarify when
the regression started to happen? Or point out I got the title or
something else totally wrong? Then just reply -- ideally with also
telling regzbot about it, as explained here:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/tracked-regression/

Reminder for developers: When fixing the issue, add 'Link:' tags
pointing to the report (the mail this one replied to), as the kernel's
documentation call for; above page explains why this is important for
tracked regressions.

P.S.: As the Linux kernel's regression tracker I deal with a lot of
reports and sometimes miss something important when writing mails like
this. If that's the case here, don't hesitate to tell me in a public
reply, it's in everyone's interest to set the public record straight.