Re: [RFC 10/10] net: sfp: add support for fwnode

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Wed Feb 23 2022 - 10:27:36 EST

Hi,

On 2/23/22 16:23, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> As Russell asked, I'm also really interested if someone has a solution
>> to reuse device-tree description (overlays ?) to describe such
>> hardware. However, the fact that CONFIG_OF isn't enabled on x86 config
>> seems a bit complicated on this side.
>
> It does work, intel even used it for one of there tiny x86 SoCs. Maybe
> it was Newton?

IIRC those SoCs did not use standard EFI/ACPI though, but rather some
other special firmware, I think it was SFI ? This is not so much about
the CPU architecture as it is about the firmware/bootloader <->
OS interface.

Note I'm not saying this can not be done with EFI/ACPI systems, but
I think it has never been tried.

Regards,

Hans