Re: [RFC 10/10] net: sfp: add support for fwnode

From: Andrew Lunn
Date: Wed Feb 23 2022 - 10:24:07 EST

> As Russell asked, I'm also really interested if someone has a solution
> to reuse device-tree description (overlays ?) to describe such
> hardware. However, the fact that CONFIG_OF isn't enabled on x86 config
> seems a bit complicated on this side.

It does work, intel even used it for one of there tiny x86 SoCs. Maybe
it was Newton? If you search around you can find maybe a Linux
Plumbers presentation about DT and x86.

You can probably use a udev rule, triggered by the PCIe device ID to
load the DT overlay.

Do you actually need anything from the host other than PCIe? It sounds
like this card is pretty self contained, so you won't need phandles
pointing to the host i2c bus, or the hosts GPIOs? You only need
phandles to your own i2c bus, your own GPIOs? That will make the
overlay much simpler.

Andrew