Re: Set environment variable `KVM` makes build fail

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Sun Feb 13 2022 - 04:45:58 EST

Dear Zhouyi,

Am 13.02.22 um 09:07 schrieb Zhouyi Zhou:, and

Thank you for your trust in me.

Thank you for your help.

I think the following patch has a good explanation of what happened ;-)
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/tools/testing/selftests/rcutorture/bin/torture.sh?id=a7d89cfb8e1269cb6d22453adba56b8d0218589f
"The torture-test scripting's long-standing use of KVM as the
environment variable tracking the pathname of the rcutorture directory
now conflicts with allmodconfig builds due to the
virt/kvm/Makefile.kvm file's use of this as a makefile variable"

Indeed. In my script I had added the remote for the rcu git archive, but forgot to actually fetch the objects and refs, and missed the error message in the output.

Sorry for the noise, though the variable name should probably namespaced, as at least for the name `KVM` the chance are higher (still very small) that it’s set in the environment.

Kind regards,

Paul