Re: [BUG]locking/rwsem: only clean RWSEM_FLAG_HANDOFF when already set

From: Waiman Long
Date: Sat Nov 06 2021 - 23:29:04 EST

On 11/6/21 23:25, Waiman Long wrote:

so sem->count will be negative after writer is killed
i think if flag RWSEM_FLAG_HANDOFF is not set, we shouldn't clean it

Thanks for reporting this possible race condition.

However, I am still trying to figure how it is possible to set the wstate to WRITER_HANDOFF without actually setting the handoff bit as well. The statement sequence should be as follows:

wstate = WRITER_HANDOFF;
raw_spin_lock_irq(&sem->wait_lock);
if (rwsem_try_write_lock(sem, wstate))
raw_spin_unlock_irq(&sem->wait_lock);
  :
if (signal_pending_state(state, current))
    goto out_nolock

The rwsem_try_write_lock() function will make sure that we either acquire the lock and clear handoff or set the handoff bit. This should be done before we actually check for signal. I do think that it is probably safer to use atomic_long_andnot to clear the handoff bit instead of using atomic_long_add().
BTW, do you have a reproducer that can reproduce the race condition?

Thanks,
Longman