Re: [BUG]locking/rwsem: only clean RWSEM_FLAG_HANDOFF when already set

From: Waiman Long
Date: Sat Nov 06 2021 - 23:25:57 EST

On 11/6/21 08:39, 马振华 wrote:
Dear longman,

recently , i find a issue which rwsem count is negative value, it happened always when a task try to get the lock with __down_write_killable , then it is killed

this issue happened like this

            CPU2         CPU4
    task A[reader]     task B[writer]
    down_read_killable[locked]
    sem->count=0x100
            down_write_killable
            sem->count=0x102[wlist not empty]
    up_read
    count=0x2
            sig kill received
    down_read_killable
    sem->count=0x102[wlist not empty]
            goto branch out_nolock:
list_del(&waiter.list);
wait list is empty
sem->count-RWSEM_FLAG_HANDOFF
sem->count=0xFE
    list_empty(&sem->wait_list) is TRUE
     sem->count andnot RWSEM_FLAG_WAITERS
      sem->count=0xFC
    up_read
    sem->count -= 0x100
    sem->count=0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC
    DEBUG_RWSEMS_WARN_ON(tmp < 0, sem);

so sem->count will be negative after writer is killed
i think if flag RWSEM_FLAG_HANDOFF is not set, we shouldn't clean it

Thanks for reporting this possible race condition.

However, I am still trying to figure how it is possible to set the wstate to WRITER_HANDOFF without actually setting the handoff bit as well. The statement sequence should be as follows:

wstate = WRITER_HANDOFF;
raw_spin_lock_irq(&sem->wait_lock);
if (rwsem_try_write_lock(sem, wstate))
raw_spin_unlock_irq(&sem->wait_lock);
  :
if (signal_pending_state(state, current))
    goto out_nolock

The rwsem_try_write_lock() function will make sure that we either acquire the lock and clear handoff or set the handoff bit. This should be done before we actually check for signal. I do think that it is probably safer to use atomic_long_andnot to clear the handoff bit instead of using atomic_long_add().

Cheers,
Longman