RE: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal

From: Tian, Kevin
Date: Tue Jun 01 2021 - 02:16:29 EST

yes, fd has its merits.

> For the case of 1M, I would like to know what's the use case for a
> single process to handle 1M+ address spaces?

This single process is Qemu with an assigned device. Within the guest
there could be many guest processes. Though in reality I didn't see
such 1M processes on a single device, better not restrict it in uAPI?

> > So this RFC treats fd as a container of address spaces which is each
> > tagged by an IOASID.
>

> If the container and address space is 1:1 then the container seems useless.

yes, 1:1 then container is useless. But here it's assumed 1:M then
even a single fd is sufficient for all intended usages.

Thanks
Kevin