Re: Pass modules to Linux kernel without initrd

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Tue Dec 08 2020 - 05:59:40 EST

Dear Enrico,

Am 08.12.20 um 10:38 schrieb Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult:
On 08.12.20 10:24, Paul Menzel wrote:

Similar to passing firmware and microcode update files to Linux or
building these into the Linux kernel image, would it be possible to
append the required modules to the Linux kernel image, and Linux would
load these?

Indeed, yes it does. Just set the corresponding CONFIG_ symbols to 'y'
instead of 'm'. If you don't need to dynamically load any modules
(already have everything you need compiled-in), you can completely
disable module support via disabling CONFIG_MODULES.

[…]

Thank you. I know this and do it myself. But, the requirement is to use the distribution Linux kernel (package). I am sorry for being unclear.

Kind regards,

Paul