Re: Pass modules to Linux kernel without initrd

From: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
Date: Tue Dec 08 2020 - 04:41:04 EST

On 08.12.20 10:24, Paul Menzel wrote:

> Similar to passing firmware and microcode update files to Linux or
> building these into the Linux kernel image, would it be possible to
> append the required modules to the Linux kernel image, and Linux would
> load these?

Indeed, yes it does. Just set the corresponding CONFIG_ symbols to 'y'
instead of 'm'. If you don't need to dynamically load any modules
(already have everything you need compiled-in), you can completely
disable module support via disabling CONFIG_MODULES.

For embedded systems, this is quite common. I'm also using it for
trimmed down virtualized workloads that don't ever need to dynamically
load modules.

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert