Re: [v3] checkpatch: add dedicated checker for 'Fixes:' tag

From: Markus Elfring
Date: Tue Apr 28 2020 - 10:54:24 EST

> I guess it is a better perl programming practice that use non-capturing group always

I suggest to reconsider the information âalwaysâ.

> when you don't need to use the '$' to access it,

Such an expectation can be fine if alternatives would be specified in
the notation â(?:â)â.

> it will make code a little faster I guess.

I hope this also when such a specification is actually needed.

>> * Would we like to support any other quotation characters around
>> the commit summary?
>
> I think we don't need now

I propose to reconsider also this view.
How should titles be safely handled if they contain the mentioned
quotation characters?

Can it be that you are used to the application of a specific language
where you should choose between two quotes for specification
of attributes (or text)?

> and people could patch it easily when we need others in future:)

I guess that there are further software development challenges to consider.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/tree/scripts/checkpatch.pl?id=b240f960afb900e59112ebcfa5a759bb0a85a14e#n2872

Regards,
Markus