Re: On trace_*_rcuidle functions in modules

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Wed Apr 15 2020 - 20:48:46 EST

On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 17:06:24 -0700
John Stultz <john.stultz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So you're saying the recent change to move to using trace_*_rcuidle()
> was unnecessary?
>
> Or is there a different notifier then cpu_pm_register_notifier() that
> the driver should be using (that one seems to be using
> atomic_notifier_chain_register())?

>From looking at the trace event in __tcs_buffer_write() in
drivers/soc/qcom/rpmh-rsc.c, the _rcuidle() was added by:

efde2659b0fe8 ("drivers: qcom: rpmh-rsc: Use rcuidle tracepoints for rpmh")

Which shows a backtrace dump of:

Call trace:
dump_backtrace+0x0/0x174
show_stack+0x20/0x2c
dump_stack+0xc8/0x124
lockdep_rcu_suspicious+0xe4/0x104
__tcs_buffer_write+0x230/0x2d0
rpmh_rsc_write_ctrl_data+0x210/0x270
rpmh_flush+0x84/0x24c
rpmh_domain_power_off+0x78/0x98
_genpd_power_off+0x40/0xc0
genpd_power_off+0x168/0x208
genpd_power_off+0x1e0/0x208
genpd_power_off+0x1e0/0x208
genpd_runtime_suspend+0x1ac/0x220
__rpm_callback+0x70/0xfc
rpm_callback+0x34/0x8c
rpm_suspend+0x218/0x4a4
__pm_runtime_suspend+0x88/0xac
psci_enter_domain_idle_state+0x3c/0xb4
cpuidle_enter_state+0xb8/0x284
cpuidle_enter+0x38/0x4c
call_cpuidle+0x3c/0x68
do_idle+0x194/0x260
cpu_startup_entry+0x24/0x28
secondary_start_kernel+0x150/0x15c

There's no notifier that calls this. This is called by the rpm_callback
logic. Perhaps that callback will require a call to rcu_irq_enter()
before calling the callback.

In any case, I think it is wrong that these callbacks are called
without RCU watching. The _rcuidle() on that tracepoint should be
removed, and we fix the code that gets there to ensure that RCU is
enabled. I agree with Peter, that no module code should be executed
without RCU watching.

-- Steve