Re: Decoding an oops

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Oct 07 2019 - 15:38:08 EST

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 7:58 AM Francis M <fmcbra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Attached is a JPEG of what I've been able to capture from the console.
> I'm guessing it's probably not enough to go on, but hoping someone
> might have an 'ahh, that looks familiar' moment.

That is an awkwardly small snippet and not showing any of the real
oops state at all (the code/rip dump is actually the user space state
at the time of the system call that then causes the problem).

Can you make your VM use a bigger terminal so that it shows more of
the oops? Assuming your virtual environment supports the usual VESA
VGA modes, it might be as easy as just booting with "vga=775" to get a
1280x1024 console.

See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions#Linux_video_mode_numbers

for more commentary.

That *might* work, and get you more of the dump.

Linus