Re: kernel BUG at kernel/cred.c:434!

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Wed Apr 17 2019 - 12:27:30 EST

On 04/17, Paul Moore wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 04/17, Paul Moore wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm tempted to simply return an error in selinux_setprocattr() if
> > > the task's credentials are not the same as its real_cred;
> >
> > What about other modules? I have no idea what smack_setprocattr() is,
> > but it too does prepare_creds/commit creds.
> >
> > it seems that the simplest workaround should simply add the additional
> > cred == real_cred into proc_pid_attr_write().
>
> Yes, that is simple, but I worry about what other LSMs might want to
> do. While I believe failing if the effective creds are not the same
> as the real_creds is okay for SELinux (possibly Smack too), I worry
> about what other LSMs may want to do. After all,
> proc_pid_attr_write() doesn't change the the creds itself, that is
> something the specific LSMs do.

Yes, but if proc_pid_attr_write() is called with cred != real_cred then
something is already wrong?

In fact, I think that something is already wrong if it is not called by
user-space directly. Too late to ask, but why is this /proc/self/attr/
magic not implemented via syscall(s) ?

But, Paul, this is up to you. I don't understand this all even remotely.

Oleg.