Re: v4.8-rc1: thinkpad x60: running at low frequency even during kernel build

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sat Nov 05 2016 - 15:58:06 EST

On Sat 2016-11-05 16:04:58, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2016, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > [ 825.759661] thinkpad_acpi: THERMAL EMERGENCY: a sensor reports something is extremely hot!
> > [ 825.761935] thinkpad_acpi: temperatures (Celsius): 101 49 N/A 78 33 N/A 33 N/A 47 50 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
>
> Oh boy, that must be the second time in a decade that I see that
> codepath triggering. It is the second-level alert that the ThinkPad is
> about to catch fire.
>
> It should have logged a "is too hot!" first-level alert earlier, but
> this depends on the EC and not the driver. Maybe the temperature raised
> too fast.

I don't think I'm seeing the "is too hot" messages. Actually.. even
the "THERMAL EMERGENCY" messages seem to have too low severity, so
they are hidden in syslogs -- they don't go to all the consoles.

> In Windows, the system would attempt to hibernate or shutdown. I would
> be quite happy to have thinkpad-acpi trigger such behavior as well,
> patches (or guidance) are welcome ;-)

Sorry, just guidance for now:

+#include <linux/reboot.h>
+ orderly_poweroff(true);

[can be called from weird contexts, afaict].

> Anyway, if that temperature goes about 1~2°C higher, the EC should cut
> power to your motherboard. Apparently, the built-in thermal protection
> clock modulation on the Intel processor is somehow saving your box from
> that forced power-off.

Actually, the machine _will_ shut down some time after that. It seems
that one of acpi trip points jumps to 128C which forces shutdown.

Thanks and best regards,
Pavel