Re: v4.8-rc1: thinkpad x60: running at low frequency even during kernel build

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Sat Nov 05 2016 - 14:05:17 EST

On Sat, 05 Nov 2016, Pavel Machek wrote:
> [ 825.759661] thinkpad_acpi: THERMAL EMERGENCY: a sensor reports something is extremely hot!
> [ 825.761935] thinkpad_acpi: temperatures (Celsius): 101 49 N/A 78 33 N/A 33 N/A 47 50 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

Oh boy, that must be the second time in a decade that I see that
codepath triggering. It is the second-level alert that the ThinkPad is
about to catch fire.

It should have logged a "is too hot!" first-level alert earlier, but
this depends on the EC and not the driver. Maybe the temperature raised
too fast.

In Windows, the system would attempt to hibernate or shutdown. I would
be quite happy to have thinkpad-acpi trigger such behavior as well,
patches (or guidance) are welcome ;-)

Anyway, if that temperature goes about 1~2°C higher, the EC should cut
power to your motherboard. Apparently, the built-in thermal protection
clock modulation on the Intel processor is somehow saving your box from
that forced power-off.

--
Henrique Holschuh