Re: Variant symlink filesystem

From: Austin S. Hemmelgarn
Date: Fri Mar 11 2016 - 11:44:49 EST

On 2016-03-11 11:20, Cole wrote:
Hi,

I have written a Variant Symlink Filesystem for linux, currently
implemented as a kernel module:
https://github.com/onslauth/varsymfs
The code was written for the 3.x kernel.

I would like to try to get this included into the linux kernel, and am
willing to hand over all copyright and change the license as needed.
As such, I would like to know what I can do to try to make this
happen.
The first two steps for this to happen are making sure it works on newer kernels (I haven't looked in-depth at your code, but there are not likely to be many changes needed to get it working on 4.4.x assuming you have it working already on late 3.x cycle kernels), and then get it converted to an in-tree module (this also shouldn't be too difficult either, once you figure out which tree to base it on and where to put it in the source tree).

Once you get to that point, read through Documentation/SubmittingPatches and follow the steps there. Aside from what's there, you'll probably want to include a couple of well described test cases.