Re: V4L docs and docbook

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Fri Feb 19 2016 - 07:35:21 EST

Em Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:28:13 +0000
Russel Winder <russel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> On Thu, 2016-02-18 at 07:28 -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Thu, 18 Feb 2016 07:10:14 -0200
> > [â]
> >
> > Stupid me: it should be just:
> > asciidoc book.asciidoc
> >
> > Still, there are lots of broken things there, and lots of errors when
> > building it:
> > https://mchehab.fedorapeople.org/media-kabi-docs-test/book.html
> >
> > Ok, I would expect the need to handling some things manually, but
> > it worries that it broke the tables. For example, see
> > "Table 1. Control IDs" at https://mchehab.fedorapeople.org/media-kabi
> > -docs-test/book.html
> >
> > It was mapped as a 3 cols table, but this is how it should be,
> > instead:
> > https://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/control.html
> >
> > As this table has actually 5 cols, because some controls have a list
> > of multiple values (see V4L2_CID_COLORFX for example).
>
> I will not be able to do anything to help with any of this today, but I
> can try and take a look tomorrow.
>
> Certainly an automated translation will not do all the complicated
> bits, that will need manual intervention.

True, although I would feel more comfortable if we can use a tool for
those nested tables, as there are a lot of them at the V4L2 part of
the media kAPI doc. It would probably worth to either write a script
or to patch an existing tool like pandoc to make it work with
nested tables.

> I may well be able to assist
> on this. I think the transform from DocBook/XML is worth a bit of up
> front effort now, so as to make everything so much easier for all
> concerned in the future. Obviously I do not have data relating to this
> project, just experience and anecdotal evidence from others.

Thanks!

--
Thanks,
Mauro