Re: [RFC V2 1/2] irq: Add a framework to measure interrupt timings

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Thu Jan 21 2016 - 15:28:19 EST

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 10:50:27AM +0100, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>
> > Actually, the handle passes dev_id in order to let the irqtimings to sort
> > out a shared interrupt and prevent double sampling. In other words, for
> > shared interrupts, statistics should be per t-uple(irq , dev_id) but that is
> > something I did not implemented ATM.
> >
> > IMO, the handler is at the right place. The prediction code does not take
> > care of the shared interrupts yet.
>
> That certainly added to the confusion. But if you want per dev_id stats,
> the whole alloc framework is 'broken' too, for it allocates the stuff
> per irq.
>
> > I tried to find a platform with shared interrupts in the ones I have
> > available around me but I did not find any. Are the shared interrupts
> > something used nowadays or coming from legacy hardware ? What is the
> > priority to handle the shared interrupts in the prediction code ?
>
> They're less common (thankfully) than they used to be, but I still have
> them:
>
> root@ivb-ep:~# cat /proc/interrupts | grep ","
> 0 IO-APIC 5-fasteoi i801_smbus, i801_smbus

Hardly something which is worth to add the extra complexity.

> root@wsm-ep:~# cat /proc/interrupts | grep ","
> 18: 0 0 IO-APIC 18-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb6
> 23: 3 927 IO-APIC 23-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb4

Stick the USB thingy into the XHCI port :)

> 19: 9695230 19577242 .... IO-APIC 19-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb5, ata_piix
> root@snb:~# cat /proc/interrupts | grep ","
> 19: 11058485 IO-APIC 19-fasteoi ata_piix, ata_piix

Go to the BIOS and enable AHCI mode. Both the snb and the wsm-ep chipsets can
be switched between legacy piix and ahci mode :)

You seem to have a faible for last century hardware.

> Also there's a whole host of SOCs that has them.

And one of the reasons is, that a lot of drivers do not support msi, while
these embedded beasts support MSI on almost every peripheral, at least the
newer ones.

Thanks,

tglx