Re: [git pull] vfs.git regression fix

From: Al Viro
Date: Fri Jan 15 2016 - 16:00:51 EST

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:41:06PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Al,
> _please_ learn to be more careful about your pull requests.
>
> This one is garbage.
>
> Why?
>
> You ask me to pull from the wrong source. You ask me to pull from
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs
>
> but that is some random state from January 2014. Two years ago.
>
> What you actually *meant* was apparently the "for-linus" branch, since
> that matches the shortlog and diffstat. But that's not what your pull
> request asked me to pull.
>
> This is not the first time. You seem to either use buggy scripts, or
> do this (wrong) by hand. Please fix whatever it is, so that I don't
> have to go look or guess after I notice that I pulled crap.

Buggy scripts, actually. The thing that generates them takes a branch
name as argument; turns out that it (pretty much by accident) treats the
missing argument as HEAD. Which tends to give reasonable diffstat and
shortlog, so I hadn't spotted the missing check until now.

Fixed. BTW, is there any better way to get the current branch name than
git branch |sed -ne '/\* /s///p'?