[LSF/MM ATTEND] 2016: Requests to attend MM-summit

From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer
Date: Fri Jan 15 2016 - 03:11:00 EST

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 11:05:45 -0500 "Martin K. Petersen" <martin.petersen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The annual Linux Storage, Filesystem and Memory Management Summit for
> 2016 will be held on April 18th and 19th at the Raleigh Marriott City
> center, Raleigh, NC.

[...]
> 2) Requests to attend the summit should be sent to:
>
> lsf-pc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Please summarise what expertise you will bring to the meeting, and what
> you would like to discuss. Please also tag your email with [LSF/MM
> ATTEND] so there is less chance of it getting lost.

Hi committee,

I would like to participate in LSF/MM.

I've over the last year optimized the SLAB+SLUB allocators,
specifically by introducing a bulking API. This work is almost
complete, but I have some more ideas in the MM-area that I would like
to discuss with people.

Specifically I have the following ideas:

1. Speedup *SLUB* with approx 10-20% by using per CPU detached
freelists for all types of allocations/free.
* Actually have a prove-of-concept implementation that showed 20% speedup
* Idea is every page (used-by SLUB) gets a detached freelist
* The first CPU that alloc the page, owns this detached freelist
* CPU owning page can do sync free operation on this freelist.
* SLUB is already highly biased to keep objects on same CPU

2. Bulk alloc without disabling IRQ (SLUB)
* This is something Real-Time (RT) people will be screaming for,
once more users of bulk API starts to appear.
* I think it is doable, but also very challenging to keep performance

3. Faster memset clearing of memory in SLUB
* Currently netstack clears SKBs right after alloc (2-3% in perf)
* In SLUB allocator we could clear larger section of memory
which is significantly faster.
* Bulk alloc would be the right spot
* Difficult part is inventing an algorithm for matching contiguous mem,
which is fast-enough, as the est. time budget is 15-20 cycles.

4. Bulk free from RCU context
* One major slowdown of using RCU free is, that free will always hit
SLUB slowpath. We could change this via bulk free API.
* This would be a major benefit for the entire kernel performance.
* The challenge here is getting to know the RCU free code well-enough

--
Best regards,
Jesper Dangaard Brouer