Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Åukasz Stelmach
Date: Thu Apr 30 2015 - 05:05:40 EST

It was <2015-04-29 Åro 17:21>, when Austin S Hemmelgarn wrote:
> On 2015-04-29 11:03, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 04:53:53PM +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
>>> Sure, I can write one binary to rule them all, pull out all the code from all
>>> tools I need, but for me an IPC mechanism sounds a lot better. And it should be
>>> _one_ common IPC mechanism and not a plethora of them. It should feel like an
>>> operating system and not like a bunch of thrown together software, which is
>>> glued together with some magic shell scripts.
>>
>> And so requiring wireshark (and X?) in initramfs to debug problems
>> once dbus is introduced is better?
>>
>> I would think shell scripts are *easier* to debug when things go
>> wrong,
[...]
> I keep hearing from people that shell scripting is hard, it really
> isn't compared to a number of other scripting languages, you just need
> to actually learn to do it right (which is getting more and more
> difficult these days cause fewer and fewer CS schools are teaching
> Unix).

My 2/100 of a currency of your choice.

As much as I like(ed) shell scripts as a boot up tool and disliked
obscure boot-up procedures of some operating system, I can't help but
notice that GNU/Linux distributions have become very
sophisticated/complcated (cross out if not applicable). Personally
IÂfeel that this degree of coplexity can't be supported by shell scripts
piping data around. It does not scale. I am not 100% sure a new IPC is
the answer, simply because I do not have experience to be so. It
definitely can be and the problem, as I see it, is real.

(The alternative answer is PowerShells capability to pipe objects. I
don't like it and I thik it's not a full answer.)

Regardless, of initrd issues I feel there is a need of a local IPC that
is more capable than UDS. Linus Torvalds is probably right that
dbus-daemon is everything but effictient. I disagree, however, that it
can be optimised and therefore solve *all* issues kdbus is trying to
address. dbus-deamon, by design, can't some things. It can't transmitt
large payloads without copying them. It can't be made race-free.

Kind regards,
--
Åukasz Stelmach
Samsung R&D Institute Poland