Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Austin S Hemmelgarn
Date: Wed Apr 29 2015 - 11:21:21 EST

On 2015-04-29 11:03, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 04:53:53PM +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
Sure, I can write one binary to rule them all, pull out all the code from all
tools I need, but for me an IPC mechanism sounds a lot better. And it should be
_one_ common IPC mechanism and not a plethora of them. It should feel like an
operating system and not like a bunch of thrown together software, which is
glued together with some magic shell scripts.

And so requiring wireshark (and X?) in initramfs to debug problems
once dbus is introduced is better?

I would think shell scripts are *easier* to debug when things go
wrong, especially in a minimal environment such as an initial ram
disk. Having had to debug problems in a distro initramfs when trying
to help a customer bring up a FC boot disk long ago in another life,
I'm certain I would rather debug problems while on site at a
classified machine room[1] using shell scripts, and trying to debug
dbus is something that would be infinitely worse.

- Ted

[1] So no laptop, no google, no access to sources to figure out random
dbus messages, etc.
Likewise.

I keep hearing from people that shell scripting is hard, it really isn't compared to a number of other scripting languages, you just need to actually learn to do it right (which is getting more and more difficult these days cause fewer and fewer CS schools are teaching Unix).