Re: [GIT PULL] kdbus for 4.1-rc1

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman
Date: Tue Apr 14 2015 - 15:48:18 EST

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 08:40:04PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 09:32:29PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah except the small difference that unlike this, we can't change
> > > hardware.
> >
> > And we can't change the design/implementation of many things, again,
> > it's not the kernel's job to prevent something, just because we don't
> > like the RFC, from being accepted.
>
> Translate, please. What exactly will be prevented by NAK on your Fine
> Piece Of Software? Not dbus working as it does, surely?

I don't understand. You can not like the D-Bus model (and accordingly
the X11 model), but to prevent users from wanting to use it in a more
secure, and faster way by implementing it like we have seems very odd to
me.

It's not going to stop anything from working, it's just going to stop
some programs from being able to do things they really want to do (see
the first email for examples.)

Yes, we could make this live outside the kernel tree, but that's not the
way we work anymore. We merge things that are useful, that match our
security and coding requirements, and are going to be maintained by
people we trust. To have the only major objection be "we don't like the
way the protocol is designed because we know better, sorry", isn't ok at
all.

greg k-h