Re: [Patch v2 1/2] gpio: add GPIO hogging mechanism

From: Alexandre Courbot
Date: Sat Dec 06 2014 - 07:09:04 EST

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Maxime Ripard
<maxime.ripard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 11:49:19PM +0900, Alexandre Courbot wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Maxime Ripard
>> <maxime.ripard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > It would be true if bank A and B were exposed through different
>> > drivers (or at least different instances of the same driver), which is
>> > not the case.
>> >
>> > In our case, banks A and B are handled by the same instance.
>>
>> Ok, so both banks A and B are part of the same device/DT node. Now I
>> think I understand the issue. You need to hog the pin so that bank B
>> will work right after the device is probed.
>
> Exactly.
>
>> But you will still have the problem that the regulator device will
>> *not* be available when your device is probed, so you cannot call
>> regulator_get() for bank B anyway. I guess your only choice is to hog
>> that pin and leave it active ad vitam eternam.
>
> Hmmm, indeed.
>
> I'll stop boring you with this then :)

Please *keep* bothering us with any doubt you may have until they are
all cleared and you are sure this feature will be useful to you.
Especially since we are designing DT bindings that will have to be
carried over forever. We really want to get them right, and need input
of potential users for that.

Having a few design arguments is a small thing compared to the hassle
of having to work with unadapted features and bindings.