Re: [Patch v2 1/2] gpio: add GPIO hogging mechanism

From: Alexandre Courbot
Date: Sat Dec 06 2014 - 07:05:27 EST

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:22 AM, Pantelis Antoniou
<panto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
>> On Dec 4, 2014, at 17:10 , Alexandre Courbot <gnurou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Pantelis Antoniou
>> <panto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi Alexandre,

>>> If you had a way to specify the order of probing that would work no?
>>> You donât have to do it in the gpio-controller, you can do it in the
>>> platform bus probe.
>>
>> A probe order that works would be the following:
>>
>> 1) bank A is probed, gpio 14 is available
>> 2) gpio-regulator is probed, acquires GPIO 14, regulator for Bank B is available
>> 3) bank B is probed, grabs its regulator and turn it on, probes.
>>
>> The problem is that in the present case, 1) and 3) are the same
>> operation because both banks are the same device.
>>
>> You could probably solve this by making bank A and bank B separate
>> devices, then even EPROBE_DEFER would allow you to probe everything in
>> the right order. But since the DT bindings are (supposedly) already
>> published this is likely not an option (?). And logically speaking,
>> these banks form one device anyway.
>
> Letâs put that in a pseudo DT definition.
>
> BANK_A: bank_a {
> compatible = âbanka,gpio-controllerâ;
> };
>
> GPIO_REGULATOR: gpio-regulator {
> compatible = âgpio-regulatorâ;
> gpio = <&BANK_A 14>;
> };
>
> BANK_B: bank_b {
> compatible = âbankb,gpio-controllerâ;
> power-supply = <&GPIO_REGULATOR>;
> };
>
> The correct probe order is bank_a, gpio-regulator, bank_b correct?

Right. And actually this would work without any DT annotation, altough
it might take a few more loops to get to the right order.

But as Maxime confirmed later, his device is more like this:

/* Contains both banks A and B */
gpio: gpio {
compatible = "foo,gpio-controller";
bankb-supply = <&GPIO_REGULATOR>'
};

GPIO_REGULATOR: gpio-regulator {
compatible = âgpio-regulatorâ;
gpio = <&gpio 14>;
};

And here there is nothing we can do, I'm afraid, without splitting the
banks into their own nodes first.