Re: [git pull] Devicetree changes for v3.15

From: Linus Walleij
Date: Fri Sep 26 2014 - 08:30:58 EST

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Grant Likely <grant.likely@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here are the dt changes I've got queued up for v3.15. The full
> description is below in the tag. Please pull.
(...)
> Jason Cooper (1):
> kbuild: dtbs_install: new make target

After this patch a while back I have observed the following behaviour
of the kernel build:

make zImage
make zImage
-> incremental build, just relink

make zImage
make dtbs
make zImage
-> The whole kernel gets rebuilt

So now if I happen to recompile my device trees, I suddenly want
the entire zImage to be rebuilt to? It's by definition not changes that
affect the kernel build :-(

I noticed this because my build scripts calls make dtbs && make zImage,
and started to rebuild absolutely everything all the time.

Do you think this can be fixed? It's quite simple to reproduce...

Yours,
Linus Walleij