Re: [RFC, PATCH] clocksource: provide timekeeping for efm32 SoCs

From: Daniel Lezcano
Date: Thu Sep 26 2013 - 04:52:41 EST

On 09/26/2013 10:20 AM, Uwe Kleine-KÃnig wrote:
Hello Daniel,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 01:49:52AM +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
On 09/25/2013 05:32 PM, Uwe Kleine-KÃnig wrote:
+static void __init efm32_timer_init(struct device_node *np)
+{
+ static int has_clocksource, has_clockevent;
+ int ret;
+
+ if (!has_clocksource) {
+ ret = efm32_clocksource_init(np);
+ if (!ret) {
+ has_clocksource = 1;
+ return;
+ }
+ }
+
+ if (!has_clockevent) {
+ ret = efm32_clockevent_init(np);
+ if (!ret) {
+ has_clockevent = 1;
+ return;
+ }
+ }
+}

I don't get the purpose of this initialization, can you explain ?
An efm32 SoC has four timer blocks. A single block can only be used for
one of clocksource or clockevent device and having more than one
clocksource or clockevent device doesn't make sense. So this routine
asserts that the first timer is used as clocksource and the second as
clockevent device. The others are unused.

Shouldn't be up to the dt to give the timers you want ?
The dt looks as follows:

timer0: timer@40010000 {
compatible = "efm32,timer";
reg = <0x40010000 0x400>;
interrupts = <2>;
clocks = <&cmu clk_HFPERCLKTIMER0>;
};

timer1: timer@40010400 {
compatible = "efm32,timer";
reg = <0x40010400 0x400>;
interrupts = <12>;
clocks = <&cmu clk_HFPERCLKTIMER1>;
};

timer2: timer@40010800 {
compatible = "efm32,timer";
reg = <0x40010800 0x400>;
interrupts = <13>;
clocks = <&cmu clk_HFPERCLKTIMER2>;
};

timer3: timer@40010c00 {
compatible = "efm32,timer";
reg = <0x40010c00 0x400>;
interrupts = <14>;
clocks = <&cmu clk_HFPERCLKTIMER3>;
};

What is your suggestion now?
Add a property that specifies if the block
should be used as clocksource or clockevent_device? That isn't a
hardware description and so shouldn't go into the device tree.

At this point, I just asked a question and did not make any suggestion.

Provide two drivers that match on "efm32,timer", one for clocksource and
another for clockevent_device? That wouldn't work, too, as the first
driver to be loaded would grab all four timers and the second would get
none.

Thanks, now I understand the purpose of this routine, it is very similar than:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg273984.html

right ?

--
<http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org â Open source software for ARM SoCs