Re: openat(..., AT_UNLINKED) was Re: New copyfile system call -discuss before LSF?

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Mar 31 2013 - 19:41:55 EST

Hi!

> >>User wants to test for a file with name "foo.txt"
> >>
> >>* create "foo.txt~" (or whatever)
> >>* write contents into "foo.txt~"
> >>* rename "foo.txt~" to "foo.txt"
> >>
> >>Until rename is done, the file does not exists and is not complete.
> >>You will potentially have a garbage file to clean up if the program
> >>(or system) crashes, but that is not racy in a classic sense, right?
> >Well. If people rsync from you, they will start fetching incomplete
> >foo.txt~. Plus the garbage issue.
>
> That is not racy, just garbage (not trying to be pedantic, just
> trying to understand). I can see that the "~" file is annoying, but
> we have dealt with it for a *long* time :)

Ok, so lets keep it at "~" is annoying :-).

[But... I was wrong. openat(..., AT_UNLINKED) is not enough to solve
this: we do not have flink() and it is not easily possible to link
deleted file "back to life" from /proc/self/fd:

pavel@amd:/tmp$ > delme
pavel@amd:/tmp$ bash 3< delme &
[2] 32667
[2]+ Stopped bash 3< delme
pavel@amd:/tmp$ fg
bash 3< delme
pavel@amd:/tmp$ ls -al delme
-rw-r--r-- 1 pavel pavel 0 Apr 1 01:36 delme
pavel@amd:/tmp$ ls -al /proc/self/fd/3
lr-x------ 1 pavel pavel 64 Apr 1 01:37 /proc/self/fd/3 -> /tmp/delme
pavel@amd:/tmp$ rm delme
pavel@amd:/tmp$ ls -al /proc/self/fd/3
lr-x------ 1 pavel pavel 64 Apr 1 01:37 /proc/self/fd/3 -> /tmp/delme
(deleted)
pavel@amd:/tmp$ ln /proc/self/fd/3 delme2
ln: creating hard link `delme2' => `/proc/self/fd/3': Invalid
cross-device link
]

> >>This is more of a garbage clean up issue?
> >Also. Plus sometimes you want temporary "file" that is
> >deleted. Terminals use it for history, etc...
>
> There you would have a race, you can create a file and unlink it of
> course and still write to it, but you would have a potential empty
> file issue?

Yes. openat(..., AT_UNLINKED) solves that -- you'll no longer get
those files. (Not sure they'd be always empty. How do you ensure rm
hits the disk? fsync() on parent directory? Sounds expensive.)
Pavel