Re: [GIT PULL] nohz: Full dynticks base interface

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Mon Mar 25 2013 - 13:03:42 EST

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 03:46:40PM +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> 2013/3/24 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > * Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ingo,
> >>
> >> This settles the initial ground to start a special full dynticks tree in -tip
> >> that we can iterate incrementally to accelerate the development.
> >> It is based on tip:sched/core.
> >>
> >> I tried to rearrange a bit the naming. We are probably not yet done with
> >> that but I guess we can fix it along with the rest.
> >>
> >> Please pull from:
> >>
> >> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/frederic/linux-dynticks.git
> >> full-dynticks-for-mingo
> >>
> >> Changes on these commits since they were part of 3.9-rc1-nohz1:
> >>
> >> * Force a timekeeping CPU over the full dynticks range
> >> * Rename CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL to CONFIG_NO_HZ_EXTENDED
> >> * Following *_nohz_extended_* APIs renames
> >> * Handle CPU hotplug for timekeeping
> >> * Rename full_nohz= kernel parameter to nohz_extended=
> >
> > Note that boot parameters suck for pretty much any purpose but quirks -
> > please also add a (default off!) Kconfig option to easily enable
> > nohz_extended for all CPUs.
> >
> > That way I will be able to test it automatically via randconfig and such.
>
> Sure, I'm adding such an option.

Hmmm... This would be an option to make all but one CPU an adaptive-ticks
CPU, right? If so, this leads to the question of whether I should add a
matching no-CBs Kconfig option. My guess is "no", because the existing
CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU_ALL should work just fine -- there would be a CPU that
was not an adaptive-ticks CPU, but does have its RCU callbacks offloaded.

Or am I missing something here?

Thanx, Paul