Re: Early boot panic on machine with lots of memory

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Fri Jun 22 2012 - 16:14:29 EST

Hello, Yinghai.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 01:01:32PM -0700, Yinghai Lu wrote:
> using yhlu.kernel@xxxxxxxxx to get mail from the list and respond as
> yinghai@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> gmail web client does not allow us to insert plain text.
>
> if using standline thunderbird, that seems can not handle thousand mail.

I moved away from TB too (to gmail + mutt) but IIRC turning off
indexing made it mostly bearable for me.

> noticed now even Linus is attaching patch, so I assume that is ok
> because there is no othe good rway.

Yeah, it's okay but just not optimal. I was wondering what changed.
My setup is pretty similar and in case you're intersted, here are some
tricks I've been using.

Thunderbird

* In the Composition & Addressing tab of account setting, clear
"Compose messages in HTML format".

* Open Config Editor under Preferences -> Advanced -> General.
* set mailnews.wraplength to 9999
* set mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed to false

* Install External Editor add-on and configure it to your favorite
editor.

http://globs.org/articles.php?pg=2&lng=en

Ctrl-E launches the external editor. The only caveat is that there
seems to be a race condition and if the machine is under heavy load
the extension occassinally loses the edited text, so it usually is a
good idea to save a copy in a separate file before exiting the
external editor. It never happens on my desktop but happens on my
laptop once in a blue moon.

Alternatively, you can use mutt for patch sending / processing. With
caches turned on (set header_cache, set message_cachedir), it's
actually pretty useable w/ gmail.

--
tejun