Re: [BUG] kernel freezes with latest tree

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jan 11 2012 - 11:31:41 EST

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ah, right! Silly me. One possibility is to rotate that list, except that
> won't work for the cgroup case where we have another iteration.

I just wonder whether you *really* need that loop at all?

If something went wrong with the attempted task move - you raced with
another cpu, or whatever - is there any real reason to even bother to
try again?

It's just a heuristic, after all, and we'll come back to balancing later.

The minimal patch looks good, but I did want to ask whether people
have considered just removing the looping entirely?

Linus