Re: [RFC] vtunerc: virtual DVB device - is it ok to NACK driverbecause of worrying about possible misusage?

From: Mark Brown
Date: Tue Dec 06 2011 - 06:21:56 EST

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 09:41:38PM +0100, Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> On 05.12.2011 18:39, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > When you put someone via the network, issues like latency, package
> > drops, IP
> > congestion, QoS issues, cryptography, tunneling, etc should be taken
> > into account
> > by the application, in order to properly address the network issues.

> Are you serious? Lower networking layers should be transparent to the
> upper layers. You don't implement VPN or say TCP in all of your
> applications, do you? These are just some more made-up arguments which
> don't have anything to do with the use cases I explained earlier.

For real time applications it does make a big difference - decisions
taken at the application level can greatly impact end application
performance. For example with VoIP on a LAN you can get great audio
quality by using very little compression at the expense of high
bandwidth and you can probably use a very small jitter buffer. Try
doing that over a longer distance or more congested network which drops
packets and it becomes useful to use a more commpressed encoding for
your data which may have better features for handling packet loss, or to
increase your jitter buffer to cope with the less reliable transmit
times.