Re: [GIT PULL] 9p changes fro merge window

From: Ted Ts'o
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 09:23:01 EST

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 07:48:59AM -0500, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:

> What's the preferred maintainer workflow? I had been fetching and
> then rebasing, which seemed to keep my shortlog clean of merge
> commits and the outstanding patches towards the top. Should I just
> be pulling from upstream and not caring about the merge commits?

Don't fetch or merge from upstream at all. For this merge window I've
done all of my development based on v3.1-rc3. Periodically I'll fetch
from upstream, and I'll do trail merges with upstream on a throwaway
patch just to make things will work or to be alerted of any merge
conflicts. (Actually, linux-next is really good for that as well.)

> Also, as a point of clarification, if I do get my kernel.org tree
> back, should I continue to sign tags for pull-requests or was that
> just for external repos like github?

It's a good idea to to sign tags so that 3rd parties can verify your
pull requests if (God forbid) something like this were to happen
again. I personally plan to use a tag like this: tytso-for-linus-20111026
(i.e., <username>-for-linus-<datestamp>). It's not required, though.

- Ted