Re: [GIT PULL] 9p changes fro merge window

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 09:04:42 EST

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:00 PM, Pekka Enberg <penberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know if mine is the preferred workflow but what I usually do is:
>
>  1. Send a pull request to Linus in a separate throw-away branch
>      that's an exact copy of my "next" branch.
>
>  2. Wait until -rc1 is out and git reset my "next" branch to that.
>
>  3. Apply patches on top of the "next" branch. I never rebase or
>      do merges from Linus tree to the branch.
>
>  4. Once the merge window opens, goto 1.
>
> [ Actually, I sometimes have multiple "next" topic branches if there's a risk
>  that I need to back out some of the changes from linux-next in the middle
>   of the merge cycle. ]

And oh, I usually set up a local 'testing' branch when the merge
window opens merge latest release and my 'next' branch to it. It's
mostly a sanity check before I send a pull request to Linus to check
that everything still works. I never publish this branch nor make it
part of the pull request to Linus.

Pekka