Using s3virge card in Sun Blade 2000

From: Alex Buell
Date: Mon Jan 03 2011 - 11:38:58 EST

Hi!

I hope the fbdev list is still in use. I have just been experimenting
with using my old S3ViRGE PCI card in my Sun Blade 2000 as its primary
display adapter has no X11 driver available for it.

I put the card into my SPARC and booted up, after compiling in the s3fb
driver into the kernel.

On boot-up, it uses the e3d framebuffer driver, and detects the s3fb
card but ignores it as seen in dmesg:

s3fb 0000:00:03.0: ignoring secondary device

I then pulled out the primary graphic card (XVR-500) and rebooted. I got
the following lines in dmesg:

vgaarb: device added: PCI:0000:00:03.0,decodes=io
+mem,owns=mem,locks=none
vgaarb: loaded
s3fb 0000:00:03.0: ignoring secondary device

It seems a bit odd that it is still ignoring the S3ViRGE card given that
it is now the only graphic adapter in the system.

I then commented out the following code in drivers/video/s3fb.c:

if (! svga_primary_device(dev)) {
dev_info(&(dev->dev), "ignoring secondary device\n");
return -ENODEV;
}

and rebooted.

It got as far as the switching to console device before it hung.

I'm aware the s3fb driver has big endian issues, I can help fix those
issues so I can get the card working. Or in other words, I'd welcome
advice on how to proceed with this.

Thanks!
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens