Re: linux-next: Tree for December 8(drivers/platform/x86/Kconfig:422:error: recursive dependency detected!)

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Wed Dec 08 2010 - 18:35:22 EST

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 15:31 -0800, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Even better tool would allow selecting the needed optios right there,
> without the need of moving away from teh current option.

That's exactly what the Nemesis version of xconfig did, almost 15 years
ago.

> And yet better tool would not even ask user and enable them on its
> own. Hey, but we have it! It's called "select".

The tools could do that with 'depends on' too. Why make a distinction?

> Seriously, select is dangerous. I wonder if a rule like "One can only
> select a symbol whose dependencies are all satisfied by the current
> symbol and/or its parents and the symbols they select or depend on"
> would not make select safe enough.

"One can only select a symbol which isn't otherwise presented to the
user as a choice".

So things like CONFIG_REED_SOLOMON are fine to be selected, because the
user would never see it anyway.

Otherwise, just use depends. And if that's a problem for you, fix the
damn tools.

--
dwmw2