Re: CFQ I/O scheduler better than AS?

From: Juan PC
Date: Wed Sep 22 2010 - 11:26:13 EST

Hi Diego,

El miÃ, 22-09-2010 a las 14:10 +0200, Diego Calleja escribiÃ:
> On MiÃrcoles, 22 de Septiembre de 2010 12:55:08 Juan PC escribiÃ:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I am sure that, for most people, the clear answer is "yes" (after all,
> > CFQ is the default I/O scheduler in Linux), but we are having serious
> > difficulties to find a benchmark which shows that CFQ is undoubtedly
> > better than AS.
>
> The AS io scheduler was removed in 2.6.33 (7 months ago, in commit
> 492af6350a5ccf087e4964104a276ed358811458), so you must be running
> benchmarks in old kernels. The CFQ scheduler used in recent kernels
> should have good performance (if it doesn't, you probably should
> write a bug report ccing jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx)

Well, 2.6.30/31 are not so old ;-)

However, this fact reinforces my question. I guess that AS was removed
due to a good reason, probably, some benchmark results. If so, those are
the benchmarks I am looking for. Do you know their names?

Thanks in advance!

Juan

PD: BTW, congratulations for your D'Oh blog ;-)

--
D. Juan Piernas CÃnovas
Departamento de IngenierÃa y TecnologÃa de Computadores

*** Por favor, envÃeme sus documentos en formato texto, HTML, PDF o
PostScript :-) ***
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/piernas