Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 15:49:55 EST

* Joerg Roedel <joro@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 05:32:15PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > I dont know how you can find the situation of Alpha comparable, which is a
> > legacy architecture for which no new CPU was manufactored in the past ~10
> > years.
> >
> > The negative effects of physical obscolescence cannot be overcome even by the
> > very best of development models ...
>
> The maintainers of that architecture could at least continue to maintain it.
> But that is not the case. Most newer syscalls are not available and overall
> stability on alpha sucks (kernel crashed when I tried to start Xorg for
> example) but nobody cares about it. Hardware is still around and there are
> still some users of it.

You are arguing why maintainers do not act as you suggest, against the huge
negative effects of physical obscolescence?

Please use common sense: they dont act because ... there are huge negative
effects due to physical obscolescence?

No amount of development model engineering can offset that negative.

Thanks,

Ingo