Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a singleproject

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Mar 22 2010 - 15:29:26 EST

On 03/22/2010 09:20 PM, Joerg Roedel wrote:

Why doesnt it solve the bisectability problem? The kernel repo is supposed to
be bisectable so that problem would be solved.
Because Marcelo and Avi try to keep as close to upstream qemu as
possible. So the qemu repo is regularly merged in qemu-kvm and if you
want to bisect you may end up somewhere in the middle of the qemu
repository which has only very minimal kvm-support.
The problem here is that two qemu repositorys exist. But the current
effort of Anthony is directed to create a single qemu repository. But
thats not done overnight.

It's in fact possible to bisect qemu-kvm.git. If you end up in qemu.git, do a 'git bisect skip'. If you end up in a merge, call the merge point A, bisect A^1..A^2, each time merging A^1 before compiling (the merge is always trivial due to the way we do it).

Not fun, but it works. When we complete merging kvm integration into qemu.git, this problem will disappear.