Re: hung bootup with "drm/radeon/kms: move radeon KMS on/off switchout of staging."

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Thu Feb 04 2010 - 15:33:53 EST

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:22:54 +0100
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is the .config issue right? It doesn't sound like the bug is
> > new, you're just seeing now it because of the way you run tests.
> > It shouldn't affect any more or fewer users than it did before, and
> > reverting the "move radeon KMS out of staging" won't fix the bug at
> > all or prevent anyone from seeing it. People using KMS will still
> > use KMS and people without it won't, [...]
>
> I think you are missing my point. My point is very simple: existing
> non-KMS users of CONFIG_DRM_RADON=y (a pre-existing driver) might
> turn on the new sub-feature (CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y), in the
> expectation that this is a safe addition to his currently
> well-working driver.

Oh I thought it was you who was missing the point, thus my
explanation. :)

Enabling KMS support is documented in Kconfig and doesn't default to
'y', so I don't know how valid your concern is, even though I
understand it.

> ( I have to confess i do that all the time for drivers that work well
> for me, and if it pops up in a late -rc i sure expect it to be safe
> to enable. I dont even read the help text most of the time - if the
> single-line summary sounds useful i enable it. Especially if the
> Kconfig help entry says it's safe with a new distro, it's not
> CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL, it's not marked CONFIG_BROKEN, it's not in
> CONFIG_STAGING, etc. )
>
> That action might hang or crash his kernel, and if that user then
> reports:
>
> " Hey, -rc7 just hung on me after enabling this new .config option
> it offered for the radeon driver i am using, please add this to the
> list of regressions. "
>
> is this really the right kind of reply:
>
> " Since we moved it from drivers/staging/ to drivers/ this hang you
> are seeing is technically not a regression, we might or might not fix
> it. "
>
> ?
>
> I doubt the user would be overly enthusiastic about that kind of
> reply ;-)

Whether or not it's a regression is mostly irrelevant, it's a real bug
and the radeon guys are working on fixing it. I really don't think
they'll be flooded with reports of this issue with the removal of the
staging dependency, but that's just my guess.

> Guys, you should really _think_ about it a minute and realize what
> the purpose of a regression policy is.

Everyone understands it, but really:
- this is *not* a driver regression, the code is the same, you just
don't need to enable staging to get it anymore
- using allyesconfig or enabling non-default options requires thought
and preferably reading the Kconfig text, so making this option more
available should be generally safe (that doesn't mean it's bug free
as you've discovered though).

> It's not to be a PITA to subsystem maintainers, it's not an annoyance
> just to keep you from doing cool stuff. It's not something which you
> should try to lawyer your way out of via an as narrow interpretation
> as you can.

I'm certainly not trying to split hairs here, I just think you're
overreacting to this issue by labeling it a regression and implying
that the commit should be reverted.

> A regression policy is something that generally helps the quality of
> Linux, so it's worth interpreting broadly and generously in spirit
> not just in letter. If there's a single most prominent complaint i
> hear about the upstream kernel is that it breaks too often. (right
> after 'it doesnt support my graphics hardware' - so i sure can relate
> to the pragmatic reasons of pushing KMS strongly!)

No one's going to say we shouldn't shoot for high quality, but hiding
things under a config option doesn't fix regressions, and making config
options easier to enable doesn't introduce them, this is still
ultimately a .config issue, not a new code regression.

But we've made too big a deal of this already; my interest in this bug
is purely academic. I think it should be solved, and preferably not by
hiding the config option again, since that's totally irrelevant to the
real issue.