Re: Did we really need to clear the IF flag at prepare_singlestep()of x86 kprobes?

From: Masami Hiramatsu
Date: Wed Jan 13 2010 - 01:18:59 EST

Dongdong Deng wrote:
> Hi Kprobe experts,
>
> I have a doubt about the handling "X86_EFLAGS_IF" at prepare_singlestep(),
> Could you give me some suggestions?
>

> arch/x86/kernel/kprobes.c:
> 406 static void __kprobes prepare_singlestep(struct kprobe *p, struct
> pt_regs *regs)
> 407 {
> 408 clear_btf();
> 409 regs->flags |= X86_EFLAGS_TF;
> 410 regs->flags &= ~X86_EFLAGS_IF;
> }
>

> for 410 line: Kprobe is intend to disable interrupt during the single step.
>
> I think it is enough that just setting X86_EFLAGS_TF as following reasons.
>

> ******************
> Reason 1: "debug trap" was initalized as an interrupt gate
>
> arch/x86/kernel/traps.c:892: set_intr_gate_ist(1, &debug, DEBUG_STACK);
>
> The "debug trap" was initalized as an interrupt gate, thereby during the
> hanld function of debug exceptions, the X86_EFLAGS_IF have been
> cleared automatically.
>

> ******************
> Reason 2: the priority among debug exceptions and interrupts
>
> Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developerâs Manual Volume
> 3A, page 5-11:
>
> If more than one exception or interrupt is pending at an instruction
> boundary, the
> processor services them in a predictable order. Table 5-2 shows the
> priority among
> classes of exception and interrupt sources.
> Table 5-2. Priority Among Simultaneous Exceptions and Interrupts
> Priority Description
> 1 (Highest) Hardware Reset and Machine Checks
> - RESET
> - Machine Check
> 2 Trap on Task Switch
> - T flag in TSS is set
> 3 External Hardware Interventions
> - FLUSH
> - STOPCLK
> - SMI
> - INIT
> 4 Traps on the Previous Instruction
> - Breakpoints
> - Debug Trap Exceptions (TF flag set or data/I-O breakpoint)
> 5 Nonmaskable Interrupts (NMI)
> 6 Maskable Hardware Interrupts
>

> From the table we could see debug exceptions lies in priority 4 and
> external interrupt lies
> in priority 6.
>
> Thereby the processor will handle Debug Trap Exceptions first, then
> handle external interrupt.

Hi Dongdong,

Hmm, can that be applied on other x86 compat cpus too?
And, when is the debug trap exception actually happened?

1: int3 ->
2: -> pre_kprobe_handler
3: -> prepare_singlestep
4: <- iret
5: execute instruction
6: debug trap ->
7: -> post_kprobe_handler

If we have an interrupt before step4, does that interrupt
really executed *after* step5? or step4?

If the processor really tries to execute interrupt
right after step5, your logic seems correct, but if it
is done right after step4, clearing IF seems correct.

Thank you,

--
Masami Hiramatsu

Software Engineer
Hitachi Computer Products (America), Inc.
Software Solutions Division

e-mail: mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx