Re: [RFC] Yet another dt3155 driver for drivers/staging

From: Marin Mitov
Date: Wed Jan 13 2010 - 01:17:30 EST

On Wednesday 13 January 2010 02:17:24 am Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:52:21AM +1100, Scott Smedley wrote:
> > Hi Marin,
> >
> > > dt3155 frame grabber I am using in my experiments since
> > > the time of 2.6.17 kernel.
> >
> > Whoah!
> >
> > > I will really appreciate your comments, suggestions, criticism.
> >
> > I haven't tried your driver but the code looks much neater than
> > our driver. Still, I am wondering why you chose to implement a
> > device driver from scratch, rather than use an existing one?
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/dt3155a/

In fact I used this one before switching to 2.6.17 kernel (see

http://lfb.issp.bas.bg/~mitov/linux/dt3155pci/00README

for details) and it was working well for single image acquisition.
(except for the problems with having too much HIGHMEM).
For real time acquisition (25 frames per sec), display and write
on HDD I needed heavy buffering, otherwise frames are skipped.

Another minor reason was I had already written an OS2 driver
for the same hardware and liked to try the same on linux :-).

Scott,

if you have 2 or more boards, could you check if
my driver is working with more than one board? I have only one
and cannot do this check. I could send you a multi-threaded
program for the test if you need it.

Marin Mitov