Re: [GIT PULL] x86: unify sys_iopl

From: Brian Gerst
Date: Fri Sep 25 2009 - 19:55:16 EST

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/25/09 15:56, Brian Gerst wrote:
>> The correct fix is to move set_iopl_mask into do_iopl. Âsys_iopl
>> should only be a wrapper around do_iopl to manage the different
>> calling convention used by 32-bit and 64-bit.
>>

> The patch eliminates that distinction, so I guess do_iopl should really
> be folded into sys_iopl (though the compiler effectively does that
> anyway by inlining it).

Using task_pt_regs is less effecient than getting the pointer directly
from the syscall entry code. On 32-bit it probably doesn't matter too
much, but on 64-bit, you still need the special stub code in
entry_64.S to put the full pt_regs struct on the stack. Changing the
calling conventions should be a seperate patch, and should be done for
all pt_regs-using syscalls.