Re: [RFC] Userspace RCU: (ab)using futexes to save cpu cycles andenergy

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 19:14:02 EST

On 09/23/2009 04:32 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

> /*
> * Defer thread waiting. Single thread.
> */
> static void wait_defer(void)
> {
> atomic_dec(&defer_thread_futex);
> smp_mb(); /* Write futex before read queue */
> if (rcu_defer_num_callbacks()) {
> smp_mb(); /* Read queue before write futex */
> /* Callbacks are queued, don't wait. */
> atomic_set(&defer_thread_futex, 0);
> } else {
> smp_rmb(); /* Read queue before read futex */
> if (atomic_read(&defer_thread_futex) == -1)
> futex(&defer_thread_futex, FUTEX_WAIT, -1,
> NULL, NULL, 0);
> }
> }

> The goal here is that if call_rcu() enqueues a callback (even if it
> races with defer thread going to sleep), there should not be a
> potentially infinite delay before it gets executed.

It doesn't seem like the test for the number of callbacks should be
necessary. I don't see anything like that in the glibc code, nor do I
remember anything like that in the futex sample code.

I'm still not totally convinced that you can avoid race conditions
without using atomic test-and-set or compare-and-exchange. I haven't
sat down and worked it out completely though.

Chris