Re: mailing list for trace users

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 16:08:24 EST

* Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I thought perf users also talk on the linux tracing list.
> >
> > No, there's a lot of non-tracing aspects of performance events. It does
> > profiling, counting, latency analysis, etc.
>
> So, will it include topics about oprofile,readprof too?

Both oprofile and readprof are obsolete.

> >> What will linux-tracing-users cover, only ftrace?
> >
> > It would cover whenever users want to talk about tracing.
>
> Hmm, in that case, on which list should I ask 'how can I
> use perf-trace?' and 'how can I use perf-record'? :-)
> Maybe I'm just a bit confusing ...

Which list do you use if you want to ask about why a networked app
schedules too much? lkml or netdev? Both if you want to reach everyone
who is interested.

Note, perf trace is one out of 9 'perf' sub-commands. I dont think it's
appropriate to name the list after that one subcommand ...

For your question i'd suggest to Cc: both. It might be relevant to the
tracing engine, or it might be a perf events or perf tool detail.

Ingo