Re: Crash on reading the whole PCI config of PIIX4 SMBus

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 09:35:47 EST

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:59:08 +0200, Henrik Kretzschmar wrote:
> Wolfram Sang schrieb:
> > On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:46:10PM +0200, Henrik Kretzschmar wrote:
> >

> >> at boot time my system (Wincor/Nixdorf Beetle D1) sometimes crashs while loading the i2c-piix4 driver.
> >>

> > Have you checked if you have the latest BIOS for this machine? Sometimes
> > PCI-problems got fixed there...
> >

> Thanks for you fast replies,
>
> the latest BIOS (05/08) is already installed, so no fixing can be expected that way
>

> I tested my killer-commands at the other box @home with no crashes.
>
> The commands _work_ with a coldstarted Linux and i2c-piix not loaded,
> so the only thing I can do is blacklisting it and renounce sensors support,
> having a good a argument for a new hardware aquisition. :)

That's really odd, considering that the i2c-piix4 driver doesn't change
the PCI device configuration, it only reads from it.

If you trigger some transactions (for example by running "sensors -s"
at boot time?) then you also write to the I/O ports. But this hardly
explains how subsequently reading the PCI config space would crash.

You might still want to check if maybe ACPI is interfering with the
i2c-piix4 driver. This isn't the kind of result I'd expect, but who
knows.

> For completness the message with the SMBus revision, which is not the pci-revision, is:
>
> SMBus Host Controller at 0x1040, revision 0

Revision 0 here as well, I suspect there never was any other revision
of this chip.

> The "?" at the interrupt line of lspci is a little strange:
>
> >> Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 9
>
> looking at lspci -x -s 7.3 I can see that PCI_INTERRUPT_PIN == 0
>
> I cant see that i2p-piix does any interrupts, refering /proc/irq/9/spurious
>
> The driver says:
>
> Using Interrupt SMI# for SMBus

This is only a debug message, saying how the interrupt line is
configured, but you are right that the driver doesn't use interrupts
(much to our shame.)

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/wishlist.html