Re: Crash on reading the whole PCI config of PIIX4 SMBus

From: Henrik Kretzschmar
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 08:59:33 EST

Wolfram Sang schrieb:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:46:10PM +0200, Henrik Kretzschmar wrote:
>

>> at boot time my system (Wincor/Nixdorf Beetle D1) sometimes crashs while loading the i2c-piix4 driver.
>>

> Have you checked if you have the latest BIOS for this machine? Sometimes
> PCI-problems got fixed there...

Thanks for you fast replies,

the latest BIOS (05/08) is already installed, so no fixing can be expected that way

I tested my killer-commands at the other box @home with no crashes.

The commands _work_ with a coldstarted Linux and i2c-piix not loaded,
so the only thing I can do is blacklisting it and renounce sensors support,
having a good a argument for a new hardware aquisition. :)

For completness the message with the SMBus revision, which is not the pci-revision, is:

SMBus Host Controller at 0x1040, revision 0

The "?" at the interrupt line of lspci is a little strange:

>> Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 9

looking at lspci -x -s 7.3 I can see that PCI_INTERRUPT_PIN == 0

I cant see that i2p-piix does any interrupts, refering /proc/irq/9/spurious

The driver says:

Using Interrupt SMI# for SMBus

I'm not sure, but my box @home has the same lspci output with the "?".

So long, thanks for help.