Re: Dell-laptop is not working without wireless

From: Mario Limonciello
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 12:41:58 EST

Hi Dmitry:

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 01:10:49PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>

> Admittedly I have not spend much time on it but it looks like my box
> _really_ wants wifi interface to be fully operational before
> dcsbas_smi_request() starts returning proper data. I wonder if iwl3945's
> rfkill support interferes somehow here...
>
> Maybe Mario (being a Dell guy) has an idea why this might be happening?

I'm on 2.6.31-rc8 or so. I can't actually reproduce this on a d630. I
get all of the rfkill devices populated.

$ rfkill list
0: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: yes
1: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: yes
2: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes
$ sudo rmmod iwl3945 iwlcore dell-laptop
$ rfkill list
$ sudo modprobe dell-laptop
$ rfkill list
3: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: yes
4: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: yes

<hit the hardware killswitch>

$ rfkill list
3: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: yes
4: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: yes
5: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
$ sudo modprobe iwl3945
$ rfkill list
3: dell-wifi: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: yes
4: dell-bluetooth: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: yes
5: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
6: phy1: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

There *is* a problem here that the hardware killswitch status doesn't
get updated, but Matthew is aware of that. Make sure you're not getting
false data because of it.

--
Mario Limonciello
*Dell | Linux Engineering*